So here's the rundown on what happened this weekend and up til now. Friday night I started having lots of contractions. Thought I'd go to hospital real quick, they'd give me some shots to stop contractions and I'd be out in a couple of hours. Got to hospital and I was still at 1 cm. Gave me some shots to stop the contractions. Well they didn't stop. Checked me again and I was at 2 cm. What?! Over the course of the next few hours I dilated to 4 cm. Dad and Gail ended up coming up since they were planning to be there early for Anderson's party the next day. They took her home and Trevor stayed with me. The doctor's plan was this: Start me on magnesium sulfate and check me again about 2 am. If it worked...great! They'd keep me on it for about 24 hours. If it didn't work and I was still contracting and dilating....they'd stop the mag and let me have a baby. Stress!!! I was still terribly upset about missing Anderson's party and now the thought of her party getting postponed because she'd be sharing her birthday! A lot for me to process. AND the fact that the mag is a horrendous drug! NO ONE wants to be on this medicine!!! It makes you feel just dreadful!!! I was on it with Anderson, too. Well.....despite no sleep....the good news was that I'd stopped dilating at 4 and the contractions had all but gone away.
The next morning Trevor went home to get ready for the Barbie party while I stayed at the hospital. I just continued to get the mag, fluids and antibiotics. A little tidbit of info about being on mag. You have to be on a liquid diet. Your vitals have to be monitored every 15 minutes. And you have to be catheterized or use a bed pan. All are awesome. Let me just tell you. It's really hard to focus on things and your skin just crawls. I found myself daydreaming about ripping out my IV and pulling off all the monitors and running down the hall. It helped the time pass anyway. Jen, Teresa and the girls came by and visited. Jen came back and Charity came by right when the party started so I wasn't sulking by myself. I got to watch Anderson open presents through face time which was awesome! After the party Tara and Kenzie came by and eventually Teresa and the girls, Dad and Gail, and Trevor and the birthday girl came by. I finally got to wish her a happy birthday in person!
Later in the evening I started having pain at the top of my lungs from the mag. It then moved from my chest to my spine. They ended up stopping it a little early and I got the best news. The doctor still wanted to monitor me at the hospital after I stopped the mag BUT....I got to move down to postpartum, back to regular diet, I had bathroom privileges, no contraction monitor, no fetal monitor, no circulation leg cuffs, they only had to monitor vitals every 4 hours, no IV, i could wear my own jammies and I could have a lortab for my spine and an ambien to sleep. I was so pumped!!! Charity came and brought me something to eat and I moved rooms. I felt like I was in a private wing! It was so quiet. Nothing beeping in my room. Nothing attached to me. I snuggled in and even caught most of Nick and Vanessa's Dream Wedding. I opted to only take the lortab since I figured it wouldn't take much to knock me out! And I was right! I had a great night sleep! Dr. Geer came in the next morning and let me go home! It felt great! I slept off and on the whole day but it was wonderful to be home and see Anderson playing with all her new stuff.
Cut to Monday. Dr. Geer had said if I started having more than 6 contractions in an hour to come back in. Well, of course I did. Plus (watch out this is too much information) I lost my mucus plug. So I went back. Only this time I'm far enough along that Dr. Pham (who I'd just met and really liked!) said they aren't going to stop me if I do go into labor. I was having contractions about every 5 mins but they weren't causing me to progress. So I'm still at 4 cm. They sent me home. I had an appointment with my doctor, Dr. Gernt, yesterday. She said all looks good and that I don't need to worry about how many contractions I'm having anymore since clearly I'm going to contract. Now my cue to go in is if they become more intense and stronger. Or if my water breaks. But I can go to work today as long as I'm just doing desk work. Still don't need to be doing lots of walking, shopping or cleaning since I am waddling around at 4 cm. But the good news is.....I made it to 35 weeks!!! Who would've ever imagined?! We'll see how the rest of the week goes. Any bets on when he'll come?!
So that's the whole deal! Hopefully I can add some pictures that Trevor and Katie took from Anderson's party soon. And hopefully I can have a fairly uneventful next couple of days. (I really hope I didn't just jinx myself!)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Weekend Update
Posted by Cara at 8:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment